Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cujo by Stephen King

Cujo by Stephen King.

Okay, I just remembered that I did read a book before the craziness of TFA Institute. Being that I am probably a worse writer than Will and Danielle, I give no promises for a coherent review.

I must preface with review with the fact that this is the fact that this was the first Stephen King book that I finished. I started the Stand but never finished.

This book (280pgs) was written in 1981, and focuses on the Vic, Donna, and their four year old son Tad. Similar to the beginning of the Stand, Stephen King dedicates a good bit of the book to developing the characters and complexities in the story line. While I personally find this facet of his writing a little boring considering the genre of the book, I have to admit that it is well done. As the story progresses to its much anticipated drama, you develop strong pathos for the characters and their struggles.

Without ruining too much, the story follows two families, the one before mentioned (Trentons), and the Chambers’s family. The Trentons are all facing their own monsters. Vic is fighting for his job after a bloody cereal disaster; Donna is dealing with loneliness associated with being a stay at home mom (and her not-so-lonely solution); and Tab is literally fighting the demons, however fictional, in his closet.

The city dwelling Trentons and remote country-dwelling Chambers lives cross paths because of a piece of crap car that needs some repairs. Mr. Chambers happens to be a good repairman. The conflict starts when Cujo, the Chamber’s 200lb St. Bernard contracts rabies. That’s when the fun begins.

So, I sort of enjoyed reading this book. The story left me desiring a bit more action, but it was definitely well-written. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy getting involved in the live of the characters and enjoy a quality scary story. If you are looking for a book full of blood and guts, just skip the first 150pgs or look elsewhere on your bookshelf.

Happy readings,
James

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this James! Maybe I'll go back and read this... I checked it out a while ago but the cover scared me too much to even open it. I do love some Stephen King though... I prefer his articles to his books though because he's so scary. Remember when I was reading Dreamcatchers as a freshmen? (the one with the slime/moss/aliens that take over?)

    ReplyDelete