Monday, June 22, 2009

The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young

Ok, first I want to say sorry for not posting this sooner... in sc we had some storms so both nights after I wrote my last post the power was out (7-9 hours each time) because down in the great south no one cares about us so it takes forever for them to fix anything. Basically I spent some quality time reconnecting with my gameboy (yes I am lame) because what else is there to do when it's dark?

Anyways... The Shack. I don' t know how to write an amazingly structured review like Will did, so you'll just have to bear with my rambling opinion of the book. Ok. I feel like the plot is kind of irrelevant to the purpose of this story, but here's a basic summary:

It takes place in Oregon, and the main character Mack loses his daughter to a serial killer during a camping trip, and he feels to blame for how it happened. Prior to this, his relationship with God has been shaky because of prior childhood events, etc. etc. Vague, I know but I can't give everything away.

Mack, because of a note he recives in his mailbox, ends going up going to "The Shack," where his daughter was killed, to try and make peace with himself and God. And... well I guess you'll have to read it to figure out what happens. Obviously, something happens in the Shack and since this is Christian fiction there's a high chance he is going to have a reconciliation of some sort.

When I first started reading this book, I didn't really understand what the big deal was, and why it was even on the best seller list. But honestly, the first 80 pages (during which I was not a fan of this book at all) are just setting up the story, and imo the real philosophical meat is when he finally gets to the Shack. After this... it takes forever to read, but not because it's boring... it's because it starts getting really dense, and I had to keep re-reading parts to make sure I caught everything.

This book seemed so simple at first, and it wasn't till Chapter 11 and 12 (coincedentally my favorite chapters) that I really began enjoying it. The way this author views God and religion is very interesting, and in chapter 11 he addresses a question a lot of people ask themselves... "Why is God punishing me/why did he allow this to happen?" This book provides a lot of answers, and honestly, it's up to the reader how you interpret them and even whether you agree. Personally, I think this book really delivers a great perspective on God and relationships between people. (And free will, but the only reason I think I appreciate this aspect is because of the required theology professor I had last semester was obsessed with the concept).

Bottom line: Look past the plot, and maybe it is a little hokey but you'll realize halfway through that it is necessary for the author to get to the underlying messages. Some really great quotes, and I think this is one of the deeper pieces of Christian fiction I have read, and one of the more enjoyable ones. Definitely recommend reading, and I'm leaving it on my shelf to re-read at some point.

And, since I'm such a crappy writer I'll end with someone else's words, one of my favorite quotes from the book (p. 237):
"Mack, if anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach our and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindess and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again."

No comments:

Post a Comment